Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Homemade Magic Shell

Tasty, no?

One recent Sunday afternoon, while picking up a treat at the grocery store (we do that occasionally), my little brother asked me about the Magic Shell on display nearby.  As I explained the concept to him, his eyes lit up with excitement and anticipation.
"Can we get some?" he asked.  I checked the price tag.
"No way," I said, and followed it with the fateful words: "I can make some for way less than that."
So I did.  Next time we had ice cream, I whipped up a quick Magic shell.  The secret ingredient here is coconut oil.  It melts into a liquid at 78* F, so is easy to use and pour.  Since it hardens at any temperatures lower than 78* F it's ideal for making your shell.
Starting with the basis of coconut oil, you can make any kind of shell you want.  My favorite, though, is choco-peanut butter.

It hardens into a shell in mere seconds!


Choco-Peanut Magic Shell:


  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/8 cup sugar (or more depending on your sweet tooth)
  • 1/8 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract


  1. Mix coconut oil and cocoa powder thoroughly.
  2. Add vanilla, sugar, and peanut butter.
  3. Mix until smooth.
  4. Pour over ice cream, ice cream cones, fingers, or whatever takes your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment